This Sea to Summit (www.seatosummit.com) 20l pack is so compact that it packs down to about the size of a peach into its stuff sack and weighs only 68g. It's not only ultra-light, it's amazingly strong. Made from siliconised Cordura fabric with a ripstop weave, it will resist wear well and carry a decent load. A really handy food shopping bag when backpacking or on site.
Thursday, 21 April 2011
Leading outdoor performance footwear brand, brasher, has designed a new classic fabric hiking boot for both men and women with superb comfort and performance. At less than £100 per pair, these eye catching, waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX® lined walking boots provide excellent value for money for those who enjoy walking in the British hills and valleys.
In the Kenai GTX, women (men's Kiso GTX) can now enjoy a great looking lightweight trekking boot that’s been designed specifically for them, with a lower cut and feminine colourway – all for less than £100. Weighing just 990g (per pair size 5), key features include:
· Durable 1.6-1.8mm abrasion resistant suede upper with fabric panels
· Waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX® Product Technology
· brasher rubber sole unit for superb grip, traction control and durability
· Shock absorbing EVA midsole
· Memory Foam in the collar for additional comfort
For stockist information and further details, log on to www.brasher.co.uk or call 0191 5165780. brasher has also introduced a new sock called Dual Terrain in both men’s and women’s colourways, which complements both boots.
An illustrated guide to some of the finest tours of Ireland’s waterways. Wild loughs, placid canals and broad rivers, as they can only be seen from a canoe or kayak - the best inland touring routes. They are described in great detail and illustrated with numerous colour photos and maps. The selected routes are suitable for open canoes, sit-on-tops and touring kayaks. Many of them can be tackled as a single voyage or a series of day trips with campsites en route. The journeys are all accessible but highly varied, taking place on inland loughs, sheltered coastland and rivers. A wonderful book for planning voyages and inspiring dreams or sharing your experiences with others.
Irish Canoe Classics
Eddie Palmer and Tony Monaghan
Evidence collated by The Camping and Caravanning Club has revealed that camping really does make you richer in mind, body and soul. Over 60 research studies reviewed by leading academics at Liverpool John Moores University and an online survey proved conclusively that those people who camp are happier, have closer family relationships, are healthier, less stressed and are more socially connected. ‘Real Richness – The List’ includes statistics and stories of those who camp and how camping has in many ways transformed their lives. Some of the key findings include -
- 93% of campers say camping can make you happier
- 77% of campers are satisfied with their quality of life compared to 59% of non-campers
- 21% of campers feel stressed on an average day compared to 33% of non-campers
- 91% of all children say spending time exploring the outdoors with their parents makes them happy
- 80% of children who camp feel their parents are less stressed when they go camping and three-quarters say their parents shout less!
- Seven in 10 people agree that camping is accessible to everyone regardless of income
- 79% of kids who have never camped say they would like to
- One in three campers think that camping is a great way to lose weight
- 84% of campers think camping can make you healthier and nearly half think the pastime should be prescribed on the NHS
- 73% of adults suggest camping is something every child should experience and half say it should be on the national curriculum
‘Real Richness – The List’ is available to download at www.realrichness.co.uk
Monday, 11 April 2011
The Box (www.thebrowncorporation.com) is a lightweight portable cardboard toilet that packs down flat and comes with a bag for ease of carrying. It comes with 10 biodegradable waste bags and tissues with a tolerance weight of 16 stone/101 kg. The inner bag is made to degrade leaving water and a little CO2. The additive in the bag reacts with the polythene and depending on the amount added decreases the time it degrades in. Made in basic brown recycled cardboard all components are biodegradable.